Now & Then
A look at the Gettysburg
Monument of Battery L when it was erected
in the 1800's and how it
appears today gives one a feeling of timelessness.
The image on the right is
the old photograph (1800's), which can be readily discerned
by the Fifth Corps insignia,
which is more prominent than on the recent photo on the left.
A newspaper article written
when the monument was first erected follows below.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1887
The Monument to Battery L,
Erected on the Historic Field
Last Monday the monuments
to Ohio commands that fought in the great battle were dedicated, with imposing
ceremonies. It was a proud and sad day for Ohio. The monuments
are thirteen in number, after various designs, and placed on the part of
the field where the commands fought, or where gallant stands and charges
were made. A description of the monuments has been prepared by General
Alfred E. Lee, and copyrighted by the American Press Association.
His paper contains cuts of the monuments.
The following is the description
of the one erected to Battery L, of this city:
A rectangular die, with first
and second base, the whole surmounted by a carved emblem representing piled
cannon balls. The lower base is 7 feet 2 inches long and 5 feet 6
inches wide. Total height 9 feet 10 inches. Material Byegate (Vt.)
granite. Location, north slope of Little Round Top.
Front of die - Crossed cannon,
followed by the legend, "Captain F.C. Gibbs' Battery," and immediately
Front of second base - "L,
1st Ohio Light Artillery, Artillery Brigade, Fifth Corps."
Front of first base - "Erected
by the State of Ohio."
Rear of die - "Battery L,
1st Ohio Light Artillery, July 2, 3, 1863. Arriving on the field
at 8 am July 2, went into position under a brisk skirmish fire, on the
extreme right, on Wolf's Hill. Afterward moved to the North Slope
of Little Round Top, and there became hotly engaged with Longstreet's Corps,
then trying to turn the left. Held same position July 3."
Rear of second base - "This
Battery was recruited at Portsmouth, Ohio, in the Autumn of 1861, by Captain
L.N.. Robinson, was mustered out July 4, 1865. Took part in 12 important
Looking down the North Slope
of Little Round Top from behind the Battery L Monument
taken July 1996